Job Description Summary
Job Posting End Date:September 29, 2019
Job Description Summary:
Job Objective: Describe the purpose of this position in 2-3 sentences (why this position exists). Complete this section as if you are writing a newspaper ad.
- Performs a variety of legal activities to protect the organization's reputation and business interests; ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations; provides general legal oversight to the operations of Meadow JV Company; provides legal contracts and other documents related to a variety matters (e.g. supply, co-packing, licensing, marketing, distribution and sales, employment contract etc.); Works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
Principal Responsibilities: Clearly define the primary duties/responsibilities of this position in bullet points. Please list these duties in order of importance and include an estimated percentage of time spent or required for each activity.
- Advice and counsel to Meadow JV Company staff and leadership in areas such as contract law, trademark/patents, advertisement, labor law, health and food laws, customs and excise, taxation etc. in related to the operations.
- Draft, review, and negotiate various commercial contracts including but not limited to supply, distribution, co-packing, sales, licensing, employment etc. key legal contracts to achieve strategic business objectives, minimize risk and ensure it is compliance with policies, laws, and regulations.
- Review and approve all marketing initiatives including all labels, packaging, advertising and promotions initiatives, marketing materials and consumer communications.
- Establish efficient process to proactively assess legal risks to the business and devise and implement policies and procedures to address and manage those risks including preventative actions, trainings and communications.
- Advise on commercial disputes/litigation management and manage all internal and external investigations related to the business.
- Advise on regulatory and compliance matters including but not limited to trade sanctions, anti-bribery, anti-competition laws, all The Coca-Cola Company global, regional and local policies and procedures including but not limited to the Code of Code of Business Conduct, Anti-Bribery Compliance, Supplier Guiding Principles, anti-trust and other policies.
- Control and manage legal expenses, and management of outside law firms.
- Perform corporate governance functions for the Meadow JV Company including fulfilling all applicable reporting and filing requirements relating to the board and shareholders meeting.
Success Criteria: Briefly describe the criteria that is measured for the success of this position.
- Provide the quality legal support required on all legal matters in Meadow JV. Successfully maintaining continuous, accurate and timely communication /reporting between the Meadow JV Company and shareholders. Interfacing and negotiating effectively with external third parties on behalf of Meadow JV Company. Being an effective business partner.
Job Scope / Impact: Identify quantitative factors for the job, such as volume, annual budget, customer contacts (i.e., # of bottlers, customers, etc.), and other major indicators of the scope and complexity of the job (i.e. number of countries covered). Please also include information pertaining to the impact of responsibilities (i.e. whether your responsibilities have impact on project basis or departmental/division/company wide etc.).
- Primarily dealing with day-to-day legal support to Meadow JV Company.
- Conduct negotiations for complex commercial and strategic transactions.
- Manage dispute with external parties and co-ordinate with outside counsel as required.
Key Contacts (internal/external): Indicate the nature and level of your contacts within and outside the company and the nature and purpose of the interaction.
- GC&K BU General Counsel
- Meadow JV Company leadership
- Meadow JV Company associates
- Internal legal functional experts
- Outside local external counsel.
Nature and Purpose of Interaction
- Seek consultation and provide briefings.
- Be the legal partner to achieve business objectives.
- Legal support on key matters.
- Provide information required by Region/ Operations.
- To liase with or otherwise negotiate on behalf of the Company.
Job Requirements / Qualifications
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Include subjects/major for education (if applicable):
- China Bar Qualification is required
- Overseas education is preferred
Minimum: : 8 years
Preferred: : 10 years+
Cultural Diversity: Please describe any language, ethnic or cultural differences faced in this job.
- Understand the cultural environment is essential to serve effectively in this role.
Analysis: Describe the types of problems that must be solved to successfully perform the job. Is the process well defined, or do you develop new approaches to solve these problems?
- Must be able to multi-tasks, prioritize and work well under pressure.
- Team player and proactively seek to participate in business decision-making process.
- Continuously identify opportunities to enhance efficiency -include but not limit to automation, simplification and standardization and others.
Judgment and Decision-Making: Describe the nature and impact of decisions required in this job. Distinguish between recommendations you make to someone else and decisions where you have final authority. Indicate your involvement (if any) with Annual Business Plan and OBP development and execution.
- Decision on legal approval of marketing, packaging, and point of sale materials.
- Decision on contract negotiations.
- Decision on evaluating legal risks.
- Daily decisions in partnership with business colleagues on day-to-day issues.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Select critical skills/competencies and list from TCCC Competency Dictionary, TCCC Skills Dictionary, and TCCC Leadership Competencies (which are available in All About Me under My Development section or PMP database under Tools section).
- Acting with Integrity: Demonstrating trust and ethical behavior and leading by example at all times.
- Persuasion: Ability to understand and apply the relevant legislation and effectively communicate importance and encourage compliance.
- Collaboration: Skill to manage available legal resources and be proactive in approaching role.
- Building Value Based Relationships: In providing legal support to the system.
Key Technical Skills:
• Business Partnership and Legal Efficiency: Provide strategic legal support and business solutions to ensure realization of business priorities, while continuing to identify opportunities to bring consistency and uniformity to legal work and implementation of initiatives in an effort to enhance business-wide activities.
• Asset Protection and Risk Identification/ Management: Protect, defend and enforce the Company's intellectual property rights; identify, assess, and mitigate, minimize, eliminate and manage risks through preventative compliance initiatives; manage and resolve litigation and other dispute resolution and provide pre-litigation counseling and litigation avoidance; and ensure that the operations of the business comply with all legal and regulatory requirements. Provide strategic and thought leadership on all marketing activities, including the review and approval of advertising, marketing, promotional and merchandising materials, and claims.
• Governance and Compliance: Drive and promote an ethical culture, and ensure compliance and governance standards are followed in operating units by serving as Local Ethics Officers, providing training and counsel on COBC, and administering compliance with regulatory and policy requirements, including among other, those related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Trade Sanctions, Competition Law, Intellectual Property Law, Use of Competitive Sensitive Information, Employment and Labor Law, Securities Law, Environmental and Food Law.
• Contracts and Transactions: Draft, review and negotiate customer, M & A, distribution, procurement, sponsorship, marketing and other contracts with significant authority as per delegation of authority to make final decision on legal issue.
Model and support the Company's Growth Behaviors: Being externally focused, being empowered and empowering others, acting in a fast and agile manager, supporting the reasonable and smart taking of risk and helping to manage those risks and remaining accountable/performance driven.
Act Like an Owner: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders.
Inspire Others: Inspire people to deliver our mission and vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
Develop Self & Others: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
Drive Innovation: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business.
Collaborate with the System, Customers & Key Stakeholders: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
Work Dependency: Describe the nature and purpose of the work input on which the job holder is dependent in order to work effectively and the work output that goes to another job holder to enable them to do their job.
- Works independently with guidance only in the most complex situations.
- Management acceptance and inclusion in risk assessment, advance planning and decision making process.
- Collaborative relationships with business associates and external counsel.
Language Requirements: Language(s) required to perform the duties of this job.
- Fluent in spoken and written Chinese and English.
Working Conditions: Describe the risk of exposure to hazards in performing your job, and the types of hazards you face.
- Exclusion from participation in planning or execution business plans/ activities.
- Adequate time for contribution.
- Selective/partial disclosure of activities, without knowledge of which, may impact advice given.
- Lack of system knowledge.
Our Growth Culture:
One of the reasons our company continues to thrive after 130+ years is having a company culture that supports and rewards behaviors that lead to growth. Our “Growth Behaviors,” as we call them, are ways of being and working that help to make us successful. Think about how you can bring this to life in your next role at Coca-Cola.
Keep seeking, never settle. Staying curious about what is outside, and two steps ahead inspires us to challenge the status quo. Having the courage to look and leap is the way we grow. Because asking “what if?” pushes us to the next level as people and as a company.
Make it happen. True empowerment is the result of taking responsibility. This means giving yourself permission to see it, say it and do it, and owning the outcomes. Because we move forward faster when we all take action.
Version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
Push for progress, not perfection. There are very few overnight successes. Greatness is borne of many little victories (and failures). Share v 1.0, test it, and make it better. Then create the next version. Because the moment we think something is perfect, it will be obsolete.
Include, value and trust each other. We are smart alone but together we are genius. This means being inclusive, giving the benefit of the doubt and being responsible for each other. Because, for our company to thrive for the next 100+ years, smart isn't enough. We need genius.Apply Back to Top