Job Description Summary
Job Posting End Date:September 29, 2019
Job Description Summary:This position is for a trademark specialist with China law qualifications, and experience managing a trademark portfolio, to join the Intellectual Property Team of The Coca-Cola Company. TM Counsel in this position will be primarily be responsible for trademark clearance, filing and application strategies, protection and enforcement of the Company's trademarks and brands. Regions covered include China, Mongolia, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan. Trade Mark counsel will also support counseling matters, including IP ownership and licensing issues, due diligence and opinion work. We require a candidate with 3-5 years of experience in IP matters with expert knowledge and focus on trademark practice and procedure. Corporate in-house experience and knowledge of patents and copyright are desirable.
- Protect the intellectual property assets of the Company
- Trademark searches, clearance and prosecution
- Enforcement of intellectual rights and dilution avoidance
- Client counseling and opinion work
- Building stakeholder relationships, in particular with intellectual property authorities and regulators and professional associations
- Manage a network of partners who are wired to monitor and advise on governmental, regulatory, intellectual property challenges around the world
- Monitor the beverage landscape from a trademark perspective
- Collaborate with outside counsel by communicating objectives, providing strategic direction and providing ongoing information and support to achieve Company objectives
- Protect information and materials provided to third parties (e.g., consultants, vendors, suppliers, bottlers) by ensuring appropriate procedures are followed and parties are bound by Company confidentiality agreements as necessary
- Review work product of outside counsel
- Manage outside counsel costs and approve fee statements
- Develop legal subject matter expertise in relevant practice area(s)
Education: Law Degree or JD required
Related Work Experience: At least 3 years relevant work experience
- Technical Skills. Strong technical skills in trademarks and IP law, writing and drafting skills
- Legal Advice. Ability to develop and effectively communicate sound legal advice and/or analysis, including the suggestion of alternative business solutions and best practices while considering client's role, objectives and risk tolerance
- Client Objectives and Risks. Ability to determine and understand client objectives and risk tolerance. Includes knowledge of methods and/or techniques used to determine to identify objectives or risk tolerance and ability to incorporate the information in making legal decisions
- Legal Memoranda. Strong ability to research and draft legal memoranda
- Legal Research. Ability to conduct and analyze legal research to determine applicable legal principles. Knowledge of and ability to use legal research resources, including electronic research tools
- Legal Solutions. Ability to devise legal solutions that reduce financial liability, costs and negative publicity to acceptable levels
- Manage Outside Counsel. Ability to determine appropriate role of outside counsel, including setting parameters for involvement. Includes ability to determine appropriate staffing and controlling fees, cost and expenses
- Service. Customer service and results oriented
- Communication. Excellent Chinese and English written and oral communication skills
Our Growth Culture:
One of the reasons our company continues to thrive after 130+ years is having a company culture that supports and rewards behaviors that lead to growth. Our “Growth Behaviors,” as we call them, are ways of being and working that help to make us successful. Think about how you can bring this to life in your next role at Coca-Cola.
Keep seeking, never settle. Staying curious about what is outside, and two steps ahead inspires us to challenge the status quo. Having the courage to look and leap is the way we grow. Because asking “what if?” pushes us to the next level as people and as a company.
Make it happen. True empowerment is the result of taking responsibility. This means giving yourself permission to see it, say it and do it, and owning the outcomes. Because we move forward faster when we all take action.
Version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
Push for progress, not perfection. There are very few overnight successes. Greatness is borne of many little victories (and failures). Share v 1.0, test it, and make it better. Then create the next version. Because the moment we think something is perfect, it will be obsolete.
Include, value and trust each other. We are smart alone but together we are genius. This means being inclusive, giving the benefit of the doubt and being responsible for each other. Because, for our company to thrive for the next 100+ years, smart isn't enough. We need genius.Apply Back to Top