Job Description Summary
Location(s):United States of America
Job Posting End Date:
Job Description Summary:The Senior Manager, Sustainability Communications creates strategic external and internal communications plans to engage key stakeholders including investors, NGOs, employees, suppliers, bottling partners and customers on important topics including our brands and priority issues facing the business, positioning the company as a responsible business. Additionally, this role is accountable for reporting and serving as key communications liaison to our Public Policy, Environmental and Social Impact and Investor Relations teams on environmental, social and governance sustainability-related topics. This position reports to the Vice President, Global Communications and will work cross-functionally and cross-geographically, to create messaging to support sustainability communications plans. The role will also support key c-suite executive communications.
Function Related Activities/Key Responsibilities
- Lead development, creation and promotion of corporate business and sustainability reporting to amplify the company story.
- Accurately contextualize and highlight financial and sustainability statements, claims and figures and partner with internal and external data governance and audit teams.
- Play a leading role in communicating the company's approach to managing various risks to global stakeholders across multiple channels.
- Develop proactive and reactive communications about the integration of key sustainability and business objectives to reach diverse audiences. Specifically:
- Develop strategic plans in conjunction with digital communications team to effectively target and reach priority stakeholder audiences in digital and social channels, grounded in metrics and data.
- Work cross-functionally to create communications programs and initiatives about sustainability to support internal awareness and engagement of system employees.
- Support Investor Relations function on sustainability and environmental, social and governance topics and engage directly with corporate responsibility-focused investors.
- Serve as the company and engagement lead in integrated and sustainability reporting dialogues and lead cross-functional steering committee across corporate strategy, sustainability, corporate secretary's office, legal, finance and risk management.
- Manage the company's approach and relationship to sustainability ratings agencies, indices and disclosure organizations (including SASB, GRI, IIRC, Dow Jones Sustainability Index, Equileap, FTSE4GOOD, Newsweek Green Rankings and others).
- Serve as the key contact for the company's reporting against the Global Reporting Initiative, United Nations Global Compact.
- Work cross-functionally with c-suite leadership and teams across sustainability, technical, public affairs and communications, supply chain, governance, legal, global business units, bottlers, partners and third parties develop proof points of success for utilizing across traditional and digital media, reporting and stakeholder engagement (including investors).
- Develop strong, integrated network with communications, public policy, sustainability, technical, foundation, finance and legal contacts in the markets and cross-functionally so that all internal and external sustainability communication efforts can be leveraged successfully.
- Coordinate with global communications teams, bottling partners and other functions to ensure consistency of communications messaging to all key internal and external audiences around sustainability messaging.
- Provide subject matter expertise on company sustainability topics, leadership messages and sustainability communications assets
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Communications, Journalism, English or PR related discipline
Related Work Experience:
- 7-10 years of work experience in communications, and/or related field, including media and publishing; agency or journalism experience strongly preferred.
- Exceptional Writing and Storytelling: develop and deliver bylined articles, data and consumer oriented press releases, media alerts, backgrounders, pitches, fact sheets, speeches, bios, executive briefing materials, PR update/recap presentations, position statements, talking points, website content, and other press/media materials written in a timely manner; strong attention to detail. Ability to find unique angles and opportunities to capture work in a compelling manner to internal and external audiences.
- Digital and Social Media: demonstrated understanding and experience of paid, earned and owned digital media integration.
- Sustainability Communications: extensive experience in the development of compelling corporate sustainability messages across traditional and non-traditional channels. Previous experience managing sustainability reporting a plus.
- Media Relations: solid understanding of media news cycle; media list development and management; media relations experience (proactive and reactive) including creating media strategies and pitching traditional and social media; help plan and execute press events to achieve positive media coverage; ability to provide timely and in-depth analysis of coverage results and trends; manage and interact with media in crisis situations. Previous experience as a journalist a plus.
- Project Management: ability to effectively run programs and projects; ensure timeliness and accuracy of deliverables; anticipate challenges, develop recommendations and brief managers accordingly; ability to think ahead of stated deliverable; manage project budget and relevant agency partner teams; ability to effectively organize and manage multiple responsibilities for multiple managers; ability to forecast issues and resolve conflict; strong time management skills.
- KO System and Industry Knowledge: Understands the business of The Coca-Cola Company across the value chain including product development, marketing and distribution, the competitive context and economic trends that may affect the system, stakeholders and our industry. Demonstrates and applies cultural sensitivity, as well as understanding national similarities and differences to create a comprehensive worldview.
- 360 Stakeholder Management: Applies knowledge of key areas of intersection between business and public policy (Tax/Finance, Responsible Marketing, Labeling, Packaging, Climate/Environment) to identify and then develop relationships and networks with constituencies/entities that influence our business, including engaging constructively with stakeholders highly critical of the Coca-Cola System.
- Define, Develop and Execute Communication Strategy: Develop and execute global communications strategies involving multiple internal and external stakeholders and initiatives, incorporating diverse channels of communication to support our products, ingredients, policies and programs. Must be able to leverage working knowledge of technology platforms, evolving communication systems, social media tools and channels.
- Understand, Interpret and Apply Data, Polling and Stakeholder Insights: Manage vendor to conduct research/focus groups and analyze findings - benchmarking against previous research. Review findings across geographies and identify commonalities/variances exist and then develop and execute plans from the findings including trend assessment and action plans.
- Project Management: Ability to work cross-functionally (across BUs, functions, stakeholders) to initiate, plan, execute, anticipate challenges, develop solutions to correct and effectively deliver projects on time and within budget.
Our Growth Culture:
One of the reasons our company continues to thrive after 130+ years is having a company culture that supports and rewards behaviors that lead to growth. Our “Growth Behaviors,” as we call them, are ways of being and working that help to make us successful. Think about how you can bring this to life in your next role at Coca-Cola. ?
Keep seeking, never settle. Staying curious about what is outside, and two steps ahead inspires us to challenge the status quo. Having the courage to look and leap is the way we grow. Because asking “what if?” pushes us to the next level as people and as a company.
Make it happen. True empowerment is the result of taking responsibility. This means giving yourself permission to see it, say it and do it, and owning the outcomes. Because we move forward faster when we all take action.
Version 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
Push for progress, not perfection. There are very few overnight successes. Greatness is borne of many little victories (and failures). Share v 1.0, test it, and make it better. Then create the next version. Because the moment we think something is perfect, it will be obsolete.
Include, value and trust each other. We are smart alone but together we are genius. This means being inclusive, giving the benefit of the doubt and being responsible for each other. Because, for our company to thrive for the next 100+ years, smart isn't enough. We need genius.We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. Apply Back to Top